Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Organizing Loose Eyeshadow Samples

One of my favorite things about most indie makeup companies is the ability to order samples of their eyeshadows. It's a great way to try out a lot of colors and make sure your in love before you buy a full container.
Admittedly I go a bit overboard on samples sometimes and I've amassed quite a collection. The little plastic baggies were laying all over my makeup counter and most had not been opened and swatched yet.






Last night in front of a re-run marathon of The Big Bang Theory, I organized my sample collection into a three ring binder.
I used plastic baseball card holder sheets. Luckily I had a bunch already laying around because this is also how I organize my coupons. (Yes, I am a crazy coupon lady too).



I organized them by brand, putting all the darkest shadows first and then moving on to bright colors and then lighter colors. I know some people like to organize their stash by color alone but I like to keep the brands separated. I used a divider with a labeled tag between each brand.

Next I need to tackle all of my clamshell samples and full size jars. I bought a new plastic drawer thingy so maybe I'll get to that tonight.

How do you organize you stash?

Thanks for reading.
Cheers!

21 comments:

  1. i admit that i just throw all mine in my huge vanity case ... then regret it later when i can't find anything i need... or they leak -_-

    i wish i was this organised :P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what was happening to mine so I broke down and organized. :)

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing idea, love it! I don't have as many as you do, but I have quite a few sample baggies floating around that I never know what to do with. I've been wanting to place a big sample order, so this is an idea I'll keep in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you go! Great organization! That is definitely the best way to store samples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *That* is very impressive! I'm an organising freak, so I think that's awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are sooooo organised! I'm impressed ...and slightly ashamed of my general disorganisation with clothes, books, jewellery and, well, everything.
    I've been watching Big Bang Theory again with my son. He is very like Sheldon so it often involves me giving him knowing looks and saying "You say/do that all the time". The only downside is he often needs to tell me more about the science featured (in great detail) that I didn't really understand in the first place hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my aunt is exactly like Sheldon.
      It's funny too though because Sheldon and I have the same accent. Of course, we're also from the same area in real life so I guess that makes sense. :)

      Delete
  6. ahhh thats sooo impressive and clever!! I just keep mine and my twins collection under my bed in two huge boxes with bags inside to separate the pallets, eyes, face, lips etc i should do a clear out soon XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let things pile up until it gets to the point where I can't stand it anymore. :)

      Delete
  7. I keep my sample baggies in a binder, too. I have them organized by brand then alphabetically by name, but I need to redo them to match how I have my sample jars. I have those organized by brand then grouped by color, which is a much easier way to find shadows when I'm putting a look together. :)

    My sample jars are kept in a couple of 3-drawer plastic doodads from Target, but I'm starting to run out of room so I need to pick up a Helmer next time I go to IKEA. I got a red one for my birthday, and I use it to store my nail polish collection.

    Speaking of nails, I keep my stamping plates in a binder, which is super convenient when I'm either looking for a specific design, or just browsing, waiting for inspiration to strike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh, good idea on keeping the stamping plates in a binder too! Thanks!!!

      Delete
    2. If you're using the 9/page baseball card sheets, the stamping plates will fit pefectly in the pockets. :)

      Delete
  8. best idea EVER!!! ive been meaning to get a binder like this for my stamping plates but it never occurred to me to organize sample baggies like this too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. crazy coupon lady like the simpsons cat lady?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. probably. I haven't watched the Simpsons in years.... I kind of hoard food and cleaning supplies. LOL

      Delete
  10. Errrrrr, my sample baggies are in a huge pile in one of my makeup drawers! I need to do something like this, they would get used a lot more if I could see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping. Ask me in a few months and we'll see if it's still working. LOL

      Delete