Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Using Regular Nail Polish with UV Gel Polish Bottom and Top Coat

You can read my initial post here about my UV gel polish kit HERE. I am now experimenting with sandwiching regular polish between the UV gel base coat and top coat. So far, it works great.

First I put down the UV base coat and cured it under the UV lamp. Then I put on two layers of Wet N Wild black polish and let that dry completely.

Next I put on one layer of Kleancolor Chunky Holo Bluebell glitter polish. Here is were things got a bit messy..... it is VERY humid where I live right now and I am having a really hard time getting glitter top coats to dry on my nails. This has happened multiple times with different polish/glitter combos so I know it's not the polishes fault. With this particular mani I put one coat of the glitter polish over the black and waited FOREVER for it to dry. I even put a layer of Seche Vite over it to speed up drying time but it didn't make a difference. Finally after about an hour I went ahead and put the UV gel top coat on and cured it.

The nail surface was dry to the touch but if I pressed my nail into it, an indention mark was left. I went ahead and went on about my day. My nail eventually dried rock hard and three days later they are still doing fine.

They did dry a bit bumpy as you can see in the pics. Again, I think this is from the glitter not drying correctly and also possibly from the Seche Vite as that tends to "shrink" polish, thus possibly creating the "bumps". Overall though in real life, these bumps are not visible like in the pics so I've gone ahead and worn this mani now for three days.

So long story short, yes! you can layer regular polish in-between the gel top and bottom coat. I'll be experimenting more with other colors and layering techniques.....


Thanks for reading!
Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, can't wait to try this!! I've tried putting regular polish on top of the gel polish but it still chips in a few days. Never thought to try the gel topcoat over the polish! Makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't stayed quite as well as the UV polish but still great. I'm on day four now.

      Delete
  2. Well that's freaking awesome. I am so tired of my polish only lasting a few days, I wouldn't mind this even if it does take an hour to dry. And it doesn't look bad at all. I think u r right about the glitter part making it bumpy, glitter always does that to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if I hadn't used the glitter and just used the black the drying time would have just been normal drying time. I'm so happy I figured this out! :D

      Delete
  3. that sound great! I will definitely try this. My nails has become so fragile lately so it's impossible to get som lenght on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes! happy to see it worked and i think even if bumped, it looks really nice! cant wait to see more of these!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried regular polish with glitter on the nail directly and then used gel top coat and it cured the nail nicely. It lasts about two weeks.

    I always use essence colour & go and red carpet brilliance seal & shine top coat. They are sold @ Fred Meyer.

    ReplyDelete