Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sophistique Noir Monthly Theme Post: FLORAL

I have absolutely nothing in my wardrobe with a floral print or rosettes or anything so I decided to walk around the house and take pictures of floral things. Enjoy!


This is the bouquet I carried as Maid of Honor in my little sisters wedding. It was a Renaissance wedding in November so the colors were orange and brown and burgundy - fall colors. I carried this around all day before I realized they were fake flowers, the petals are really soft. This sits on the side table by the couch in a black glass vase. Behind it is a vintage postcard of Buffalo that my Dad gave to me.




We have a lot of Mucha and Mucha-esque prints around the house. Hubby and I both have a huge love of his artwork.



This is a Victorian-era butterfly diorama that we found while out "picking" one weekend. It has a prominent place in our living room.


This floral picture frame we found at Ikea quite a few years ago. My husband just recently painted this picture to go in it. This is on the wall behind our couch.


A few "floral" things going on here. The stained glass is a floral motiff that we have along the top of a few of our windows. The year-round Halloween garland made by moi is florally to me. And the iron light fixture is swirly with leaves. Yes, that is a taxidermy bear head behind it.


This fixture came with the house. I have bought three different hurricane glass lamps to fit over that bulb and none will work! So now we just stare at the bulb. I still like it though.


Stairwell window with floral and skull shawl drapes.


BUGS! They like flowers right? One of those praying mantis' were our "pet". That big thing center bottom is her egg sack. She laid that soon after we got her and it sat there for a few months. We went away for about a week and when we came home it had hatched and we had literally THOUSANDS of teeny tiny mantis babies all over our computer room. They basically ended up eating each other and mostly cleaned themselves up but it was quite a surprise to come home to. The momma died on her own and had a good life and now she lives here. :) The other bugs were found around our house in TX. Scary huh?


This is a neat little antique I picked up in near Galveston,TX after a woman had stripped an old hotel and was selling off all the pieces. These were pretty popular around the turn of the century. They would have a piece of heavy paper behind the glass with a background picture on it.


And one of our heater grates. I just love the details that these old homes have! Our apartment is a little worse for wear in some places but the charms outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Well, that's my interpretation of Floral. Go check out all the other submissions by clicking on the linky.


I'm also adding a few more flower hairclips to my etsy store.


Thanks for reading! Cheers!

30 comments:

  1. You have a lovely collection of things!

    That Butterfly Diarama, the insect case, The picture frame, the prints, everything is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have beautiful paintings and decorations in your home. Your husband is a very talented painter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I am going to try to make some flowers like what you showed!!

      Delete
  3. You seriously found that picture at IKEA? It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love Mucha. What appropriate prints for a floral theme!

    Also, I've always wanted praying mantises but I knew I'd never be able to handle it if they ate each other. I'm such a wuss when it comes to nature. I can handle the most gruesome human atrocities but animals being animals reduces me to a sobbing pile of jello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I did feel bad when all the little babies were eating each other :(

      Delete
  5. Great painting for the IKEA frame. I have that frame, and I bought mine a few years ago too, but I really wanted to use it for a mirror. I had a glazier cut a mirror to fit it, which probably cost more than the frame. Of course, IKEA sells it as a mirror now (Sod's Law!). In fact, I'm pretty sure you can't buy it just as a frame anymore, so it's cool that you've been able to use it for its original purpose. Anyway, my framed mirror hangs in our bedroom and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. We wanted to make ours into a mirror too but we never did and it literally was mounted to our living room wall in our old house empty. No picture, nada. Just... there. I didn't know they now sold it as a mirror. Good to know! :)

      Delete
  6. A great idea...and you have lots of gorgeous stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi dear..i love your ceiling lamp..those paintings are so coool :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great stuff. I especially love the piece of art on the glass. We have something similar -- though it is in color, and a landscape, and I think it is painted. So really not that similar. Your flower clips are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mucha art is indeed very beautiful and interesting. Also, that sugar skull flower is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow; there really is floral inspiration just about everywhere if you look around with a creative eye! Your heater grates are so awesome. Newer houses (like ours) REALLY don't have a bit of unique charm built in. :( I loved your approach to this theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have that Ikea frame! Still searching for a picture worthy of it. I adore the painting in your's!
    I'd love to interview your husband for my Artist Appreciation Month. Would he be interested?
    I plan to post your fab flower hairclips as part of my wearable freaky flowers post Friday too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some really neat decorations in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those bugs are quite creepy! :) I must be the only goth scared of big insects, haha. I love how you framed them though. :) There are so many nice things to see in your home. Great decoration and atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm okay with them when they are behind glass but I won't touch them with a ten foot pole!

      Delete
  14. omg i have everything prepared for a pet manti for years *lol* should finally go and get it.
    esp after that story lol <3

    are these butterflies real, too?

    ReplyDelete