Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Rasputina

Last Friday I was lucky enough to see Rasputina in concert. I didn't get tickets when they first went on sale and so I was really surprised to learn the show wasn't sold out and I could get tickets at the door.



I will admit, I'm not an uber-fan of the band. I have three of their albums and like them but I admittedly don't know the lyrics to every song they have.

If you are unfamiliar with Rasputina, they are a three piece American band made up of two cellists and one drummer. The band has gone through a series of lineup changes but the main founder, Melora Creager is still the driving force within the group.

Here's my favorite song from them done to a homemade video (not done by me):




This is the second song they played Friday night:



And another great song:



When I was around 15 years old I was absolutely enamored with Tori Amos. Going to this show brought me back to my 15 year old self and my complete awe of seeing Tori straddeling her piano bench at one of the first concerts I ever went to. Seeing Rasputina brought back those old feelings. It's great to go to a show where the energy is as thick as a knife.

My favorite Tori song:



Wow, listening to this song after not hearing it for a number of years gives me goosebumps. Takes me back to being a very sad and passionate teenager. I wouldn't give those days up for the world but I am hella glad I'm not there anymore!

Thanks for reading.
Cheers!

14 comments:

  1. I adore Tori! I saw her in '09 and was in awe too.
    I'm also fond of Rasputina. I'd love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling to rediscover an oldfavourite song, it'swonderful. I was on the Emilie Autumn consert yesterday, it was very nice . Right now we are heading to Gothenburg for the Nightwish concert. :-) . Iwould love to see Rasputina as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You lucky lucky thing, I just love Rasputina and their amazing costumes and dark cabaret style! I bet the concert was awesome, I'd love to see them playing their cellos right in front of my eyes but I don't think they come to the UK an awful lot which is such a shame! My favourite song of theirs has to be Transylvanian Concubine which I have Buffy to thank for! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty cool to be so close to them playing their cellos, especially when she kicked on her distortion pedal! :)

      Delete
  4. I used to looooove Tori Amos, It's great tolook up music you used to be into, isn't it? Hmm, now I need to look for some Tori ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So jealous! I'd love to catch Rasputina live. I also love Tori Amos and still listen to Boys for Pele and Little Earthquakes often as they remind me of particular times and events in my life. Glad you had a good time at the gig and it made you nostalgic :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it definitely took me back. I agree about Tori just taking you to certain times in your life. Each album makes me think of certain times. I'm a bit afraid to listen to Choirgirl Hotel as I'll probably completely loose it! :)

      Delete
  6. There's nothing quite like a favourite old song to get those sense memories going. Like VainGlorySinner, I love 'Transylvanian Concubine' because of countless sessions listening to Buffy soundtracks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to Rasputina's show on Friday. It was the best show I've been to in a while. I didn't realize Creager had such a presence and such an amazing voice. I actually thought they sounded better live than on albums, if that makes sense.

    The crowd was awesome too. I don't think this show sold out either. But the folks that showed up were definitely big fans. Tons of steampunk guys. Lots of goths. And a few elfin fairies. So much fun.

    Hah, I went through a big Tori phase too. And then I went through a phase where I couldn't listen to her at all. Not sure why. But now I'm always pleasantly surprised when I hear her on the radio down here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad it was an awesome show. I think that this lineup has really good chemistry together.
    After writing this I've been listening to a bit of Tori lately. I haven't really listened to much stuff after about 2001 so I'll have to catch up on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Though their musical style is not to my taste, I would definitely go see Rasputina in concert as I think the show would be awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed the show!

    ReplyDelete