Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Facial Secret: Honey

originally Dec 28, 2011



A few months ago I was searching the Makeup Alley forum pages for cystic acne remedies. At various times in my life I have had acne flair-ups. The first time it happened I had just landed a really high stress job and my face went to complete shit for about a year, basically until I quit because of the stress. Since we have moved cross-country and I am now living in a completely different climate zone, plus added stress has again triggered an acne flair-up. It's tough because I have always had pretty dry skin so products like Proactive tend to really dry me out. I do use a little Proactive once a week or so, but more than that and I get flaky. One major problem I have too is my acne tends to be cystic acne, the kind that is really deep, painful and never really comes to a head. The kind that if you mess with it, it turns into a giant red scab. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you are very lucky!

This Makeup Ally thread had a few people suggesting honey as a cystic acne treatment. I have worked in the spa industry off and on for the past decade so I am very aware of the use of honey in spa treatments. I just have never really used it at home on myself. Now though, I can't afford to go out and get expensive treatments and products so the idea of using honey was very appealing.

I have a horrible patch of cystic acne on my neck, yes my neck. Gross right? I know a lot of it is stress induced but I also sleep with my hands up around my face and I think I end up curling my hand under my chin, right where this patch is.

Basically, I just started applying honey straight to the acne spots. Within three days the spots were cleared up and the dark scars of past spots were noticeably better looking.  I wet my fingers and rub a little honey on them, enough to dilute it a bit so it's not so sticky. Then I just rub the honey directly on to the spot and leave it overnight. I am just using cheap grocery store brand honey-bear honey. Run of the mill stuff. And yes, you read right, three days and it was gone.



I've since started using honey as a once a week face mask. I just wash my face like normal, apply a thick layer of honey and leave it on for about 15 minutes, then rinse off with warm water and a washrag. It leaves my skin feeling really hydrated and smooth.

Honey has a lot of antiseptic properties. It is also anti-microbial and a natural exfoliant, all things that can help with problem skin.

I have yet to get fancier with the facial treatments. There are many recipes mixing honey and yogurt, honey and oatmeal, honey and crushed almonds, etc..... For now, straight honey is working wonders for my skin and I suggest giving it a shot if you've got any kind of skin issue going on.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment